Homemade Baked Beans Recipe: Baked beans are one of the healthiest and most delicious dishes you can have at your meal. But in the present time’s lifestyles have become so advanced, and there is less time saved for cooking. Instead of cooking meals at homes, people prefer the readymade canned materials. Sometimes these are good options, but sometimes the taste of food is entirely spoiled. Same is the case with the canned baked beans which are not even near to the freshly baked homemade baked beans.
Homemade Baked Beans Recipe
This homemade baked beans recipe is full of freshness and flavors one wants. You can choose navy beans or pea beans depending on your preference. Also, other flavors can be added. Although all the process of using dried beans can be a bit time consuming but it is worth spending the time to get your favorite baked beans at the end.
Navy beans or pea beans: 200 grams
Water: 400 grams
Molasses: 40 grams
Onion: 1 medium, well chopped
Garlic clove: 2, well chopped
Salt: ½ tablespoon
Black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
Brown sugar: 1/4th cup
Baking soda: 1 teaspoon
Mustard powder: 1 teaspoon
Vinegar: 1 tablespoon
Bacon or salt pork: ¼ pound
• First of all, wash the beans and soak these in hot boiling water for 3 to 4 hours. You can also bring the beans to boil followed by the soaking. Soaking makes the beans soft and allows them to absorb water.
• After soaking for enough time, allow the water to simmer and rinse the beans.
• Now bring the beans to boil by adding 4 cups of water in a pot. Stir them off and on until these are cooked.
• Preheat the oven to 300 degrees before starting the cooking.
• Mix all the other ingredients including tomato paste, water, molasses, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, garlic, mustard powder and baking soda. Mix these all well over a low flame.
• Add onions to the mixture and cook for 2, 3 minutes.
• After the gravy is formed add the beans in it and give it a well-combined form by mixing with a spoon.
• Add vinegar to it and mix well.
• Transfer the mixture to the baking bowl and cover it with an aluminum sheet for 1 to ½ hour. You have to check the beans after one hour to get the desired consistency of the sauce. If you want the sauce to be thin, 1 hour is enough, if you want it dry, you should allow it to cook for some extra time until these are ready.
It is indeed a complete package of flavors with tomato paste. The brown sugar and molasses provide the mild sweetness and the sour tinge of vinegar balances the taste perfectly.
• Vinegar is added at the end when beans are Cooked. If you add it before you might end up with hard beans even after baking.
• Maple syrup can be used in place of molasses.
• Soaking the beans overnight will bring the best effects.
• You can also cook the baked beans using the pressure cooker.